Monday, June 16, 2008

Say Goodbye to Classes....For A Couple Years


Today we (my class group) gave our final presentation for the capstone class for PR majors. It went pretty well. We had to create a PR campaign for the BYU Department of Communications itself. The reason for this is because though BYU's communications program has received high rankings and has won several national and international competitions (one of which happened recently, BYU advertising majors swept the international L'Oreal Brandstorm competition), very few people know about BYU's communications program and its success. Our job was to design a campaign that markets the departments success to other colleges, department alumni and students.

Throughout the presentation, I kept thinking about the time my father-in-law invited me to a presentation iSupply (a marketing agency for high-tech products) gave on how to market a new laser projector built by the company he worked for, E&S engineering. That was a great experience, I learned a ton. Now I have been on the giving end of three similar presentations, both at school and at work.

At my internship this summer, I've been getting a lot of marketing experience which has been really nice because I've really enjoyed learning about both mass marketing and PR. And though the two are not completely the same, there are a lot of similarities and both complement each other extremely well.

I've liked doing marketing so much that I'm pretty certain that will be the emphasis I go into when I go into an MBA program. So I guess business school is the next step, but before I start that, I'm going to thoroughly enjoy not having to do homework every night for a couple years!

3 comments:

Tom and Alison said...

Hey Jake, congrats on finnishing school and on you summer internship, we hope you enjoy it and get a lot out of it! Good luck!

Al and Jenny said...

Jake, great job!! A degree is such a wonderful accomplishment and represents a lot of diligence and hard work! I am excited to hear about what the next few years bring for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Wow looks like life is good for the Nielsons. The babys are adorable, I hope things are going well baby is very cute. Keep in touch through allison's blog!
Jay Linford (bishop byu140)